glimpses into the life of a 20-something jersey girl living in the great white north.

06 May 2006

so some of you know about my neighbor.
cookie.
she was diagnosed with als [lou gherig's disease] earlier this year.
if you don't know anything about the disease.
its fatal.
basically you lose neurological functions until you become paralyzed and you can't breathe on your own anymore.
yeah. lovely. isn't it?

well i hadn't seen cookie until today.
dad and i were going out to do some errands and we saw her and her husband [roy].

oh my goodness.
all i wanted to do is cry.

i can't even describe how it affected me.
there aren't words.

she has lost all ability to speak.
but her heart is still there.
oh god yes it is.

this woman is so amazing.
she has such a love for people.
i love her so much.

she told me how she loves my father.
and she told me that one day i'll have a relationship like her and her husband.
and take fun pictures [she showed me pictures they had taken].
and then she told me...
get this...
wisest advice in the world.

she told me...
to...
make love last.

how amazing is that advice?
seriously.
so simple.
and so true.

i can't get over it.


but this poor woman and her husband.
i can't figure it out.
why?
why do they have to suffer?
i can't even imagine going through that.
she's so strong.
she's so amazing.
why?

No comments: